Financial Aid Info for Graduate Students

  • Various forms of student assistance are available through the IUP Financial Aid Office. For the Federal Direct Loan Program or for Federal Work Study (FWSP), you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The FAFSA can be completed online.

    In order to receive federal assistance, you must meet a number of eligibility requirements. Briefly stated, these include the following: You must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis in a degree granting program; you must maintain satisfactory academic progress in your course of study; you must be a US citizen or permanent resident alien; you cannot be in default of a federal educational loan or owe a repayment of federal grant funds. Federal verification requirements must also be completed for selected students.

    Information on graduate assistantships and fellowships is available through the School of Graduate Studies and Research, located in Stright Hall, by sending email to

    External scholarship opportunities may be explored through the FinAid website.

    Educational Loan Programs

    Federal Direct Loans are available to help meet educational expenses. Graduate students may borrow up to $20,500 each academic year (fall, spring, summer). A FAFSA must be on file along with a Federal Direct Direct Loan electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN).

    First-time Direct Loan recipients at IUP must also complete entrance counseling requirements before receiving their loan funds. To complete the eMPN and Entrance Counseling, please visit the US Department of Education’s Direct Loan website. Exit counseling as you leave IUP can provide you with valuable information on loan repayment and is available at the US Department of Education's Direct Loan website.

    Graduate students interested in applying for the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan should complete the electronic PLUS Loan application available on the US Department of Education's Direct Loan website. You will be notified of the credit decision immediately, and the Financial Aid Office will receive electronic communication of the decision within two business days.  A credit check is only valid for 90 days, so you should not apply any earlier than 90 days prior to the start of a semester or academic year.

    If your credit is approved, you will be required to complete the electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan on the US Department of Education's Direct Loan website. If you have not previously borrowed a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, you will also need to complete entrance counseling. If your credit is denied, you will have the option of appealing the credit decision or re-applying with an endorser. Further information will be provided to you upon notification of denial.

    There are numerous types of privately financed educational loans, but it is recommended that students utilize the Federal Direct Loan or Grad PLUS programs as their first borrowing options. To see a list of some private educational loans, go to ELM Select.

    Student Employment

    There are two employment programs that may be of interest to students who do not have a graduate assistantship or fellowship. These are the Federal Work Study Program (FWSP) and University Employment (UE). FWSP is based on financial need as defined by the FAFSA. You must also complete an institutional FWSP application. An FWSP award is an opportunity for employment but not a guarantee of placement. For all employment programs, students are responsible for securing their own positions, but placement assistance is available online at the Student Employment Center. Wages are paid directly to the student every two weeks. Both types of employment programs permit working up to 25 hours per week during period of enrollment and 40 hours per week when classes are not in session.

    Cost of Attendance

    As a public institution receiving state support, IUP maintains a relatively modest cost of education. If you find, however, that you require additional funds to meet your educational needs, please outline your monthly expenses in writing and forward them to the Financial Aid Office. Your eligibility for additional assistance will be evaluated for appropriate graduate educational expenses.

    Enrollment Status

    Graduate students must register for at least 4.5 graduate credits per semester in order to be considered a half-time student, which is the minimum allowable for receipt of Federal Direct Loans and deferment of repayment on previous student loans. Full-time status is nine graduate credits per semester. With the exception of study abroad programs, all coursework must be taken at IUP—enrollment at other institutions is not counted for student aid purposes. Doctoral students in the PsyD program and School Psychologist program are considered enrolled on a full-time basis during their internships. Students enrolled in dissertation credits are also considered to be enrolled full time.

    The Registrar’s Office (724-357-2217) in Clark Hall provides enrollment verification and information regarding the student’s expected graduation date. All requests for information of this nature should be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office along with the name and address of the agency or institution that is to receive the information.

    Refunds of Student Aid

    All student aid funds, with the exception of earnings, are applied directly to your account at IUP. Refunds are generated by the Bursar’s Office (724-357-2207) for any proceeds in excess of amounts owed to the university. All refund checks are distributed through direct deposit or by mail.

    Summer Financial Aid

    More information regarding summer 2019 financial aid will be available in April 2019.

    Additional Assistance

    If you have any questions regarding your eligibility for student aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office in Clark Hall for assistance. The office is open Monday through Friday during regular university business hours. However, you may view at any time all of your personal information on financial aid, registration, and student account by accessing MyIUP.