Summer Financial Aid Opportunities

  • If you are taking summer classes, in person or online, you might be able to use financial aid to help with your expenses.

    Check out these general guidelines that apply to summer financial aid overall, as well as specific guidelines for undergraduate students and graduate students. 

    General Guidelines for Summer Financial Aid

    • Summer is considered to be connected with the prior fall and spring semesters when determining the aid year.

    • Financial aid for the summer term can’t exceed your cost of attendance for the term. The Financial Aid Office determines the cost of attendance. Your COA is based on enrollment, tuition, fees, room, board, books and supplies, and personal and miscellaneous expenses.

    • Tuition waivers and scholarships for summer are included as part of your financial aid award.

    • Most aid is not disbursed until after you have entered half-time enrollment (6 credits for undergraduate students and 4.5 credits for graduate students), and no earlier than mid-June. For example, if you take three credits in Summer I and three credits in Summer II, you will receive your aid after the Summer II drop/add period.

    • Your Federal Direct loan eligibility for the summer term is partially dependent on the amount of Federal Direct loan funds you borrowed during the previous fall and spring semesters. They are linked because there is a maximum level you can borrow with Federal Direct loans each academic year. The borrowing limit is set based on your grade level.

    How Your Grades Can Affect Your Aid

    In order to be considered for financial aid for the summer, you are required to be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). SAP is defined as earning at least 67 percent of the cumulative number of attempted credits and maintaining a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 for undergraduate students and 3.0 for graduate students.

    You must also not exceed 150 percent of the normal period to complete your degree. If you do not meet one or more of these minimum criteria, you will receive notification from the Financial Aid Office. If you are not meeting these requirements and want to be considered for summer financial aid, you must complete the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form and have it approved for the summer term.