What You Can Do with Your Degree: Human Development and Family Science

  • Child Development and Family Relations Students with pillowcases they made for children in Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

    HELPING CHILDREN: Students in the Child and Family Studies Association made and delivered colorful pillowcases for children to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC. The pillowcases were presented to two child life specialists who are graduates of IUP’s Human Development and Family Science program. (alumna Stephanie Colaberardino is at far right; see quote below)

    Professional Opportunities Greet Child and Family Advocates

    Diverse settings and roles will greet you when you earn an IUP degree. Our alumni from this program can be found in child development programs, teaching in Head Start, or in preschool environments.

    They are also bachelor-level therapists and child life specialists. They lead parenting groups and become caseworkers, and our alumni work with special needs children in the classroom and in the home. Nonprofit organizations will welcome your exceptional skills, and there are various military- and corporate-sponsored opportunities that address child and family needs. If you wish, you can continue your education with graduate studies that lead to professions including, but not limited to, juvenile justice, school psychology, counseling, and marriage and family therapy.


    With a BS in Human Development and Family Science, you gain unlimited career potential that spans private businesses, government agencies, and nonprofit groups:

    Career Opportunities

    • Early intervention specialist
    • Child care teacher/counselor
    • Head Start teacher
    • Child care center director/Head Start director
    • Educational coordinator for child care/Head Start
    • Child life specialist
    • Case worker
    • Parent educator
    • Residential home counselor
    • Youth counselor
    • Juvenile justice worker
    • Family life educator
    • Bachelor’s-level family therapist
    • Therapeutic staff support
    • Child development specialist/screener

    Path to Higher Degrees

    Expand your job choices and increase your salary potential by completing graduate studies.

    • MS in Child Development
    • PhD in Child Development
    • MEd in School Counseling
    • MA in Community Counseling
    • MA in Human Resources and Employment Relations
    • MA in Student Affairs in Higher Education
    • MEd in Early Childhood Education
    • MS in Marriage and Family Therapy