The IUP 2011 Archaeological Field School investigated Historic Hanna’s Town, the first colonial period county seat west of the Allegheny Mountains.
Founded in 1773 by Robert Hanna, Hanna’s Town acted as the “capital” for much of western Pennsylvania. In addition to being a legal and commercial center, it was an embarkation point for settlers moving farther west.
The field school trained undergraduates and graduate students in the Applied Archaeology program in the methods of historical archaeology. The focus of the field school was on the development of the landscape after the town was abandoned.
Drs. Ben Ford and Beverly Chiarulli directed the field school. This is the first year of what is planned to be a long-term relationship between IUP and the Westmoreland County Historical Society. The Historic Hannas Town Field School will alternate with a field school investigating the Pre-European cultures of this region.
Department of Anthropology