Gerontology Certificate FAQ

  • How can I learn more about the Gerontology Certificate program at IUP?

    Individual appointments with the allied health coordinator can be made to discuss IUP’s gerontology certificate program. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact the Department of Nursing and Allied Health Professions at 724-357-7647. In addition, you will find details about program requirements on the Gerontology Certificate page and the Current and Prospective Students page.

    If I decide to pursue the certificate program, how do I apply and how will I know what courses to take?

    Applications are available in the department office, 244 Johnson Hall, and are also available to download. Once the application is completed and returned to the department office, the student meets with the allied health coordinator on a regular basis to plan for completion of the certificate requirements, including arrangements for the internship.

    May I take some of the courses for the certificate at another college or university?

    Many students decide to take courses during one or more summer and/or winter sessions either at IUP or at another college or university. The allied health coordinator assists students who plan to take courses for the certificate elsewhere. A helpful website to investigate equivalent courses is the Online Transfer Credit Equivalency System.

    What are some possible sites for the internship, and how many hours are required?

    The site selected for the internship takes into consideration the student’s major, the learning objectives for the internship, and career plans. Long term care settings, senior centers, and other health and human service agencies are frequently used because of the many rich experiences available. Approximately 120 clock hours over the semester are required for the three-credit internship. In addition, the student also typically completes select reading assignments and weekly logs.

    Will the certificate be posted on my transcript?

    When you have completed all certificate requirements and graduate from IUP, the gerontology certificate will be noted on your IUP transcript. In addition, you will receive a certificate of completion from the Department of Nursing and Allied Health Professions.

    Where do graduates who have completed the certificate find jobs?

    Most graduates who have completed the certificate find jobs related to their major, such as nursing. Other graduates pursue graduate education. For example, a recent graduate with a major in Anthropology completed a thesis related to people with Alzheimer’s disease and pursued graduate education in Anthropology at the University of Northern Arizona.