Info for Parents

  • Working with your son or daughter to help them make good decisions about their future finances and yours is an important way you can help them succeed.

    For parents of college students, that usually means learning about financial aid. The information below will get you started.

    Student Rights to Privacy—and How to Call About Your Student's Aid

    • The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gives students certain rights with respect to their education records.
    • Based on FERPA, anyone calling IUP on behalf of a student must be authorized on the Student Record Release Authorization for information to be shared.
    • Through MyIUP, students can give specific individuals or entities permission to view and discuss their educational and financial record information. Though students can choose the types of information shared, access to grades can be important when checking if students are making Satisfactory Academic Progress to keep their financial aid.
    • Students should go to MyIUP, then Personal Info. On the Personal Info Page, look for the heading Student Information, and then choose Record Release Information to get to the online form.
    • Students will need to create a keyword and phrase for authorized users.
    • For information, visit the Office of the Registrar.

    Parent and Family Member Orientation

    Students aren't the only ones going through a big change as college begins. That's why we hold spring/summer Parent and Family Orientation. Parent and Family Orientation takes place at the same time as the two-day freshman student program or the one-day transfer student orientation program.

    Parent and Family Orientations include multiple topics helpful for parents and family members, including a presentation from the Financial Aid Office. Please view the PowerPoint presentation for an example of what the Financial Aid Office presents during Parent and Family Orientations.

    First Step for Aid—File Your FAFSA

    When it comes to financial aid for college, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step. You'll need the IUP Code: 003277 to fill it out.

    After a student completes the FAFSA, they receive an offer of student loans, grants, scholarships, and work-study jobs if they are eligible. If these do not cover the costs, parents can consider Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans and Private/Alternative Loans. Learn more about the types of financial aid.