Immigration Information

  • Maintaining Your F-1 Status

    While studying in the US, it is important to maintain your F-1 student status. Your status relates to the purpose or reason for why you want to come to the US. Your immigration status is your responsibility, so knowing the regulations and following the guidelines outlined in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) will assist you in assuring that your immigration remains in active status. The menus below provide a brief overview of the rules to maintaining your F-1 status and the consequences associated with failing to maintain your F-1 status.

  • Maintaining Your J-1 Status

    As a J-1 exchange visitor, it is your responsibility to maintain your immigration status through the duration of your J program at IUP. If your DS-2019 was issued by IUP, please read the following requirements to maintaining your J-1 status. If your DS-2019 was issued by a sponsoring institution such as Fulbright or IIE, please contact your student advisor there.

  • Visa immigration documentApply for a US Visa

    International students coming to the United States for study will need to apply for the appropriate visa before being permitted to enter the country. As a student, you will be applying for an F-1 (I-20) or a J-1 (DS-2019) visa. US law states that F and J visas are given to those who intend to remain in the US temporarily, and their primary purpose is for academics.

  • Withdrawal, Suspension, or Absence from IUP

    F-1 Students Only

    IUP policies about academics will affect immigration. Please consult with your academic and international student advisor if you withdraw, are suspended, or will be absent from IUP for any period of time other than scheduled breaks, within reason.

  • IUP policies will affect your immigration status. Please be familiar with policies that could affect your academic standing. See the undergraduate catalog and graduate catalog for policy information.

  • How to Change Visa Status

    Please make an appointment to meet with an international student advisor. There are many different situations and rules that apply to changing your visa status in the U.S.

    An IUP international advisor will assist prospective and current students with changes of status relevant to IUP. Please make appointment by e-mail: or

  • Lost Documents

    If your immigration documents are lost or stolen, please report it to the IUP University Police or the local police department and ask for a police report. Also contact your local embassy. Please make every effort to put your immigration documents in a safe place and make copies of your passport photo page and US visa. Please follow the instructions below to replace each of your important immigration documents.

  • Transfer to Another University

    As an F-1 or J-1 visa holder, your immigration record in SEVIS is under IUP’s control as long as you are in status.

    Once you graduate, or complete Optional Practical Training, you have until the end of your 60-day grace period to transfer your record before it completes. You may transfer a record as long as you will begin your new program within five months of your program or OPT end date. Although you are beginning a new program, you still need to get IUP’s international office to transfer your immigration record in SEVIS to the new school.

    Note: Your record can only be transferred once. Please decide which school you will attend before asking our office to complete a transfer form.

  • Apply for a Driver’s License or State ID Card

    The Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) oversees issuing of driver’s licenses and state identification cards. Most non-immigrants and their dependents can obtain a Pennsylvania driver’s license or state identification card.

    A state identification card is a good alternative to carrying a passport and is useful for opening bank accounts, paying via personal check, or going to bars or restaurants where alcohol is served.

    Please plan ahead! If you are thinking about getting a license or state ID, do it while you have six to eight months of study left, otherwise you may not be eligible for a document.


  • Airport Shuttle and Taxi Services

    Due to COVID-19, we will not be offering a shuttle service from the Pittsburgh airport to Indiana, Pennsylvania, for spring 2021. Students can use the transportation services below to organize a ride to IUP upon arrival. View the IUP Campus Maps and Directions page for directions. Most students will be admitted to the IUP main campus in Indiana, Pennsylvania, which is approximately 80 miles northeast of the Pittsburgh International Airport. All rates for airport transportation are subject to change. Please be aware that the university does not have the resources to meet nor transport students on an individual basis.

  • Travel

    As an international student studying in the US, you may want to travel around the US or abroad while on breaks. When traveling inside the US, it is always advised that students and scholars carry a passport and I-20/DS-2019 with them. If asked for identification, these are the most helpful documents you can have. Of course, keep them in a safe place and make sure to have copies of these in case documents are lost or stolen. If you are leaving the US, please continue reading.

  • Related Sites